Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Lollipop Topiaries

My niece decides she wants a Candy Land themed birthday party.  My sister tells her it is no problem, and it basically wasn't a problem for my sister, because I did a lot of the work.  Not all of the work, just the party favors, and creating a life size version of the Candy Land game, including the life size game board, 3 foot tall lollipops and candy canes.  I'd say it was a lot of work, but I loved every second of it.

The party favors were lollipop topiaries.  Each stood about 2 feet tall and had over 100 DumDum lollipops. These pictures show you part of my topiary making journey.

I bought 3 foot dowels, and my Uncle sut them into 12 inch pieces. I then pained them green for the stems of the topiaries.  I inserted the dowels into 4 inch styrofoam balls.  I put a little hot glue on the dowels to keep them in place.




This is the dowels in all the styrofoam balls.  I placed them upside down in their terracotta pots to keep them organized.





 I purchased the DumDums in bulk online.  The sticks were too long, so they all needed to be cut.






The lollipops had to them be inserted into the styrofoam balls.  I found it easiest to do it in a circular pattern.






This is what it looked like when i got the first one covered.






I tried to do three a day.  My fingers hurt from pushing the lollipops into the styrofoam.






Got another three done.






I may even have goten 4 done on some days.  Not sure if anyone noticed, but a lot of the pictures have my coffee cup in them.  I drink a lot of coffee.





Making progress.






Getting more done every day.  The balls you see here will be turned into the base of the topiaries inserted into the pots.





 I needed to but those balls in half to fit in the pots.





Cutting the balls was messy work.





 I cut circles out of green felt to cover the styrofoam in the pots, to look like grass.






 This is what they looked like when all the pieces were put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment